No Direction

No Direction is our 70ft Narrowboat which is now home to my wife Jayne and myself, it was launched on 4th February 2008.

We spend the Winters in a Marina and cruise in the warmer weather.

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Cycling Permit

Tuesday 17th January 2012.

Back in the late eighties/early nineties you were supposed to apply for a permit from British Waterways before cycling on the canal towpath, it cost £3, coloured green and white and was laminated so in didn't disintegrate when tied to your handlebars, I had one but didn't see many more around.

Looking through the Waterscape site recently I noticed that you still need one but now they are free and that you have to download and print them yourself, so that's what I've done.


So, if I spot Halfie or Jim riding their bikes on the towpath I will of course ask to see their permits.

4 comments:

Jim said...

You'll have to catch me first, Ray

Skippy said...

Got mine :D - http://skippy.org.uk/cycling-by-the-canals/

Halfie said...

For what it's worth, I do have one in my wallet. It's a bit tatty, especially after the moths have been at it.

Jim said...

Actually I don't see why I should get one as I only use my bike on the towpath in connection with boating (lock-wheeling etc) something that traditionally has always been allowed. I also can't see the point of requiring everyone to have something that everyone can help themselves to.